Friday, September 22, 2006

Lesson Plan, Friday Sept. 22nd

I wonder how many students in grade 8 at IST have found the spelling mistake in my first Blog entry? I have had them read the entire first entry, and the first "page" in three separate classes this week, and they have not said a word yet about the mistake.

This makes it very difficult to give them permission to have their own blog...since I need to trust them to proof, spellcheck, and proof again (and yet again for a third time) each time they post on their blog.

I also am going to have the Librarian come and speak to the students today about checking books out that they borrow from the library. I need the grade 8 students to set the example in Middle School for this. It seems that some books have been borrowed without being checked out, but I am sure grade 8 will figure out what to do.

I also discovered that I needed to click a few security buttons to ensure that whomever left a message on my teaching blog also left it with my permission. I appreciate the several students who left messages, and ironically it was good that they did so. This woke me up to the fact that I needed to ensure security.
And because of this, I am sending the permission slip home next week to their parents. I need to research teacher led bloging efforts a bit more to "cover all the bases".
Speaking of Idiomatic expressions (such as "cover all the bases" from American English), the website that I have as my first link leads to a great ESL site that has advanced ESL work on it. I have had the students do several sections on "Idioms" so far, and given that the site is based in the UK, they are learning some neat idiomatic expressions in British English.

Finally, they - grade 8 - should all be finishing their first independent reading book, now that we are at the end of week two of school. Given that they will read 25 books -8 (minus 4 for Lit class, and minus 4 for Italian) = 17 books, and given that there are a total (including vacation weeks) of 40ish weeks each year.

What do you think? Are they finished their first book? Perhaps I should require a written report for the first book in order to give them individual permission to "blog" for our class???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home